Vai al contenuto

Anticipazioni su Windows 8

Guest EC2277

Messaggi Raccomandati:

Microsoft to tighten grip on Windows smartphone designs.

By Martin Veitch

Microsoft plans include limiting handset makers to core specifications and designs as the firm seeks to stage a comeback in smartphones. The firm is expected to announce more plans at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next week.

"We'll come back pretty hard on the phone side," said John Mangelaars, EMEA vice president of consumer and online in an interview with CIO UK last week.

"We'll say [to hardware partners] 'if you want to build Windows phones these are the terms' so you [the consumer] have a very clean experience," he added, stating that three core styles of device will be prescribed: a touchscreen model, a slide-out keyboard product and a device with integrated keyboard.

The move will add credibility to the argument that Apple has had a big advantage over rivals by being able to tightly knit hardware, software and functionality on devices such as the iPod and iPhone whereas Microsoft has been prone to the various directions of hardware partners.

Mangelaars, a Microsoft veteran who is now based in the UK after spells in the US and Holland, conceded that the company has made errors:

"We know what the industry told us and we know what the users are saying. We didn't realise the phones were moving into the emotional space rather than the business space. We didn't realise people care so little about privacy on the internet. We could do better. [We've been] too slow. We haven't seen the transition coming. We were still building business phones when businesses were using consumer phones."

Without specifying what the move will be, Mangelaars suggested that Microsoft recognises the need for a game-changing manoeuvre in order to distinguish itself from competitors and samey designs. He also believes that competitive pricing and integration with the Windows/Office stack won't be enough on their own to win over businesses.

"We need to change the paradigm," he said, noting the identikit nature of many designs but refuting the suggestion that any change will be purely cosmetic.

"It's a functionality and design thing. Products today are bought more on emotion than technology. I've seen people buying netbooks based on the colour. They become very emotional and vote with their feet. It's like cars. Twenty years ago Japanese cars had the features but were rusty so you bought the German car, but now there's no rust anymore. The bar has been raised."

However, what is not on the cards, according to Mangellars, is the notion that Microsoft could shift away from a partnering model and release its own self-branded device a la Apple or Google.

He also rejected the idea that Apple has built a lead with application developers that will make it difficult to catch ("The real strength is the AppStore but when you break down the real apps there are, one, front-ends to websites, two, games and, three, mobile apps that are pretty easy to port.") and says that Microsoft must capitalise on its breadth of offerings:

"That's our birthright. When you compare us to Google and Apple where we have strength is that we can work across the browser, PC, phone, TV, XBox... Nobody has the consumers or minutes we have."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft's Mangelaars on Win 8, Apple & Google's Chrome ads blitz

By Martin Veitch

In part one of CIO's interview with Microsoft EMEA boss of consumer and online, John Mangelaars, we focused on what Microsoft is doing in smartphones to fight back against Apple, RIM and Google. In part two, we roam across a bunch of subjects. Here are my (necessarily edited) highlights.

On Apple, Mangelaars said that the Cupertino company had done well to grab market share in high-end desktops and laptops but contended that with the Vista episode now history and cleaned up by the Windows 7 release, Microsoft developers will be unleashed to come up with more innovation:

"[Apple is] doing well on the PC side but Windows 7 is a blockbuster. We got it really right. For me, Windows 8 will be mind-blowing."

In terms of online services, Mangelaars said there will be springtime revs for Hotmail and Messenger while Bing will eventually evolve to become a more graphical front end to the web:

"Bing visual search [will be] pictures not blue links so when you search for a car it's a completely integrated experience. [With Bing Maps] you'll upload your own pictures so the cost [to develop] is zero and our software will stitch together images."

Mangelaars believes also that CIOs are getting closer to marketing as web analytics becomes a more powerful driver of decision making:

"The CIO's department is becoming the backbone of marketing. There's somebody on MSN, Bing, Messenger, Facebook, Google and the only place you can track them is on web analytics. We call it 'I want my cookie back!' IT has come really close to marketing. [Web analytics] is where the CIO meets the CMO and we're at the early stages of leveraging the real-time connection."

On Microsoft branding and advertising, Mangelaars, perhaps predictably, disagreed with my contention that the Seinfeld (VIDEO LINK) and 'I'm a PC' (VIDEO LINK) campaigns were each a nonsense but said the firm needed to show its ubiquity and be plain-spoken:

"Microsoft is the brand that empowers you and connects you everywhere. We need to make sure they know we've got this stuff and it's good stuff. We have to be benefit-specific so Mozilla is fast, Chrome equals apps but for private and secure it's gonna be our browser. The Windows brand is one of the most powerful in the world. There's an emotional connection so we have to explain why there's personal benefits."

As for Google spending squillions on its Chrome advertising campaign, Mangelaars took an interesting, conspiratorial angle:

"If you're Google, you need to grow your business but make sure money doesn't get thrown against search, so you attack in our backyard. [between Microsoft and Google it will be a] Battle of the Titans for who becomes the platform of the world."

And just to show that the stakes are very high indeed, Mangelaars closed by going on the offensive against Google:

"They'll suck all of the data out of your machine. They say 'Don't Be Evil' but it's the world's biggest data collection tool."

Fonte: Microsoft's Mangelaars on Win 8, Apple & Google's Chrome ads blitz - CIO News View - Martin Veitch's blog - CIO UK Magazine

Modificato da EC2277
la notizia riportata da Macitynet era errata.
Link al commento
Condividi su altri Social

Perchè qui (ad esempio):

Microsoft's Mangelaars on Win 8, Apple & Google's Chrome ads blitz - CIO News View - Martin Veitch's blog - CIO UK Magazine

La notizia è parecchio diversa :lol: ? e soprattutto mi pare proprio che quei fanboy di Macitynet abbiano abbiano aggiunto parole che il signore in questione non ha mai pronunciato ;)

Ah il giornalismo :lol:

花は桜木人は武士

Link al commento

Vabbè... Macity è da evitare per qualunque cosa non riguardi strettamente Apple...

La teoria è quando si conosce il funzionamento di qualcosa ma quel qualcosa non funziona.

La pratica è quando tutto funziona ma non si sa come.

Spesso si finisce con il coniugare la teoria con la pratica: non funziona niente e non si sa il perché.

Link al commento

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

cmq ragazzi, già dire: "Apple lavora bene" ......e sticaz......:mrgreen:, e si trincera dietro al solito "blockbuster"...:lol::lol::lol:

non è un 'ammissione di inferiorità ma non è nemmeno lontanissima...

cmq ho SL ed è veramente un gran prodotto....veloce e stabile..il mio primo Macintel è migliorato notevolmente.....con 1,5 giga di ram (:mrgreen:com'erano? ah, si .... i 4 "d'obbligo").....va da Dio, computer di 4 anni con zero modifiche....

Link al commento

Perchè qui (ad esempio):

Microsoft's Mangelaars on Win 8, Apple & Google's Chrome ads blitz - CIO News View - Martin Veitch's blog - CIO UK Magazine

La notizia è parecchio diversa :lol: ? e soprattutto mi pare proprio che quei fanboy di Macitynet abbiano abbiano aggiunto parole che il signore in questione non ha mai pronunciato ;)

Ah il giornalismo :lol:

Grazie per avermelo fatto notare.

Cambieresti il titolo in Anticipazioni su Windows 8; sempre se non esiste già un topic a riguardo. ;)

Link al commento

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

cmq ragazzi, già dire: "Apple lavora bene" ......e sticaz......:mrgreen:, e si trincera dietro al solito "blockbuster"...:lol::lol::lol:

non è un 'ammissione di inferiorità ma non è nemmeno lontanissima...

cmq ho SL ed è veramente un gran prodotto....veloce e stabile..il mio primo Macintel è migliorato notevolmente.....con 1,5 giga di ram (:mrgreen:com'erano? ah, si .... i 4 "d'obbligo").....va da Dio, computer di 4 anni con zero modifiche....

uhe maranza, anche il mio sostituto gira con due giga solamente:lol:

è chiaro che se lo prendi nuovo e vuoi fare qualche cosa di interessante, ti serve la ram

"non è mai abbastanza la potenza del fuoco":lol:

perdipiù, visto anche il costo irrisorio a cui è oggi..

image.php?type=sigpic&userid=879&dateline=1242680787

Mi avete fatto venire fino a quassù e mi avete detto...mi avete detto che mi compravate una bomba...arriverò tardi per il pranzo e mia mamma...ahhh...ahhh..e non mi farà mangiare per punizione..aaaaaah che vigliacchi.........nessuno ha una cioccolata??? un croccante???

Link al commento

1)Cosa centra col topic :roll: ? C'è il topic ufficiale Mac vs Intel se si vuole parlare di questi argomenti

2)Visto che siamo in tema quoto un pezzo di intervento di nucarote di qualche giorno fa in un topic diq uesta sezione:

E finiamola di associare il concetto più RAM occupata = SO brutto e urendo, ma proviamo a concentrarci sull'efficienza e la reattività del sistema, che poi è quello che fa un sistema migliore di un'altro.

3)e io mi chiedo:e allora?Ho un laptop di 4 anni anche io e ho tenuto su Vista con 1Gb di RAM...mica è esploso e per un breve periodo ci ha girato su anche SolidWorks (lento come la fame ma sapevo a cosa andavo incontro), anche io computer di 4 anni e zero modifiche e funziona con tutto :mrgreen: Vista,7,Linux,BSD,Haiku :D per cui quel MAcIntel (come sempre) fa quello che fanno tutti gli altri computer :mrgreen: poi oh se c'è gente che scarica piratato un fottio di software perchè va di moda avere PS e AUtocad installato,li installa a casaccio e in esecuzione automatica ha una lista della spesa da decine di pagine allora lì la colpa è solo loro :lol: mica del Gb di RAM o di Ballmer

Grazie per avermelo fatto notare.

Cambieresti il titolo in Anticipazioni su Windows 8; sempre se non esiste già un topic a riguardo. ;)

Guarda EC non è colpa tua ;) e non mi sento nemmeno di dare la colpa al blog fazioso :lol:

da quando è uscito Win7 si "ipotizzano" già molte cose su Win8, è un tema abbastanza caldo e dibattuto e come per l'AlfaRomeo c'è qualcuno che pur di scrivere o denigrare si inventa qualcosa in più (ogni giornalista lo fa IMHO) ;) adesso lascia che esca quel catorcione di Office 2010 e vedrai che qualsiasi blog informatico si occuperà di WIn 8

Bada però che affermazioni come quelle fatte secondo me le rileggeremo più volte perchè i dirigenti M$ stanno cianciando molto di desktop,GUI,interfaccia e "desktop experience" per cui il paragone con Apple è d'obbligo, però glissano completamente i temi più prettamente informatico-scientifici sul kernel,il filesystem e tutte quelle cose lì...e forse è su questo aspetto più profondo che potremmo avere delle (spero belle) sorprese

花は桜木人は武士

Link al commento

Guarda EC non è colpa tua ;) e non mi sento nemmeno di dare la colpa al blog fazioso :lol:

E' colpa di Win :mrgreen:

e cmq sta cippa che tenete i PC a pari config per 4 anni...magari con linux (che ignoro completamente).

coi "Chunky Asses" di M$ ad ogni S.O. nuovo è quasi d'obbligo un tagliando al cadavere....mica balle.....:§

non è che se non lo fai tu non lo fa nessuno, Ricky.

Link al commento

Guarda EC non è colpa tua

Non ti preoccupare, è che non mi piace essere veicolo di false informazioni. ;)

Se fosse stata vera allora un topic all'insegna del sano ed amichevole sfottò tra i sostenitori dei diversi sistemi operativi ci stava tutto. Ma siccome è falsa mancano i presupposti (ma possono essere sempre inventati) per litigare in santa pace. :mrgreen:

Bada però che affermazioni come quelle fatte secondo me le rileggeremo più volte perchè i dirigenti M$ stanno cianciando molto di desktop,GUI,interfaccia e "desktop experience" per cui il paragone con Apple è d'obbligo, però glissano completamente i temi più prettamente informatico-scientifici sul kernel,il filesystem e tutte quelle cose lì...e forse è su questo aspetto più profondo che potremmo avere delle (spero belle) sorprese

La cosa mi preoccupa poiché temo che questo Windows 8 possa essere solo un Windows 7 abbellito.

Modificato da EC2277
Link al commento